Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 6 Reading Diary A: Hanuman Goes to Lanka

I plan on writing my storytelling post about Hanuman as a cat in Lanka, so I focused my notes on this subject.

Hanuman turns himself into a cat so that he can easily walk around Lanka and not be noticed by people. He is immediately stopped by the Goddess Lanka who does not want to let him cross into the city. He tells her he is a monkey and then kicks her. Because of a prophecy she had heard she lets him into the city.

(Hanuman Jumps to Lanka. Source: Wikipedia)

Hanuman spends a lot of time looking at how beautiful the city is. He also talks about how pretty the moon is. He also describes many of the different Rakshasas that he sees while walking along. During his time Hanuman looks through many different windows of families, this is easy for him because he is a cat.

The book describes that at midnight the humans are in love and sleep together peacefully, while the Rakshasas go out at this time and eat flesh and blood. I thought this was an interesting comparison. They are very stark contrasts to one another.

The book also talks about how Hanuman hears many different sounds as he is “prowling” around Lanka. I think this is interesting, and definitely something that I will have to keep in mind for when I write my story.


Throughout this whole section of the book it really focuses on all of the details that Hanuman is seeing, hearing, and experiences. I think this will be important for me to remember when I am writing my storybook post.

No comments:

Post a Comment