Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Storytelling for Week 5: Garuda's Diary

Dear Diary,

Today I learned of my Aunt Kadru’s treachery towards my mother. What kind of dishonorable woman would do that? Vinata is her sister, and now she is forced to be Kadru’s servant. I cannot even express to you my dear book, my confidant in all of life’s matters, how mad this knowledge makes me. I was just born from my egg and haven’t even had a chance to talk to my mother. She is always working, and doing Kadru’s work. I wish I could see her. Is life meant to be lonely like this? I don’t yet understand the ways of the world. I do know that I must do something to free my mother, Vinata. She deserves freedom and happiness. I must talk to Kadru, there has to be something that I can do. I will pay any price to free my mother.

Until next time…


Dearest Diary,

It hasn’t been long since I’ve written in you, but I’ve had some new developments with Kadru. I told her I would do anything to have her release my mother from her evil grasp. What do you know!? Of course there was something she wanted! She is never satisfied with the things she has. Oh you want to know what she wanted diary? Well, let me tell you. Kadru and her thousand children want immortality. How must I get it you ask? Well, I am to fly up to heaven and steal it from Indra.  

Wish me luck!

 
(Garuda, Wayang Kulit. Image Source: Wikipedia)

Diary,

Today was the day! I finally made the trip to heaven. On my way there Agni the Fire God tried to get me to decrease my power. He said I would ‘burn up everyone’ if I didn’t. He must have been crazy! I had a job to do and I was going to do it. I did ask him to give me some amrita though… But he would not!  I think it has something to do with that Indra! The next thing I know the whole building was covered with rows and rows of guards. Ha! They thought that would stop me?  I just beat my wings one time and blocked their vision with dust. That wasn’t the only obstacle I had to face though. They had fires, tons and tons of fires everywhere! I just drank some water and put those out. They were so protected for invasion, but they were not protected from me. I flew in so fast that the two serpents guarding the cup didn’t even notice! I took that cup and flew right down to Earth! Now it’s time to get back my mother!

Here I go…



Faithful Diary,

What an interesting day it has been! First I met Narayana the One Lord, he offered me immortality and a place on his flag. So I offered to be his mount for whenever and wherever he wishes to go. He even made me King of all the birds! Me, Garuda! What a special day it has been. As I was flying towards Kadru I was hit by a thunderbolt, which provided me with all the knowledge that there is now, and that will ever come later. I turned to this person who struck me with a thunderbolt, and it was Indra. He wanted to know why I was not drinking the amrita. Little did he know! I made plans for that too. I wasn’t going to give it to Kadru anyway. I just needed it to get her to give me my mom back. Well, it worked! I told them to give me my mom then I ‘suggested’ they cleanse themselves before drinking the amrita. So they went on cleansing their dirty bodies, while I got my mom and Indra took back his amrita. I did it! I really did it!

Until my next adventure!


Author’s Note:

This story was based off of the story of Garuda taking the amrita from Indra, to give to Kadru. He sees that his mom is a servant to her sister Kadru so he wants to save her. Kadru wants the amrita for herself and her children. Garuda visits his dad for advice on what to do and his dad tells him he needs to go and do it. Then, Garuda flies off to heaven to retrieve the amrita, where he confronts Agni who wants him to stop being so powerful. Later, Garuda brings the amrita to Kadru to get his mom, but ends up keeping the amrita when Kadru and her children go to bathe.
            I chose to write this story in a diary form, so that we could experience Garuda’s feelings as he was living through this. I made it so the diary was very important for Garuda, so that he relied on it to show his feelings. For this story I kept the basic storyline the same, but I changed the view it was told from. I also took out some of the scenes that were in the book, such as Garuda eating the tortoise and elephant. I believe telling the story this way shows what Garuda was feeling when experiencing these new emotions.

Bibliography:

  • Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I really like that you chose the diary style to write this story. You made it feel very personal, sassy, and sarcastic. If I had a diary, I’m sure I would talk to it like it was my friend too in the same sarcastic tone. I loved it. I suppose, I’m just a little confused as to why you used bolded some entries and not others. I can see that they are in a pattern, and maybe you chose it to separate each diary entry. However, it is a bit confusing but overall, not a big deal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    I really like that you did diary entries for this post! I have done a post like that in the past and it was a fun one to write! I think that you do a great job of showing Garuda's emotions through the writings in the diary. It is really easy for me, as the reader, to know exactly how Garuda is feeling. I like that Garuda is talking to the diary like it's a person. It cracks me up! I think you could make your author's note a little longer. It is hard for me to make these long, also! One thing I suggest you add to it is to say why you put some posts in bold and some not in bold. I assume it is just to separate the different diary entries, but it would help to clarify that! Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah,
    I am really glad you chose the diary prompt. It looks really great! I thought it was really cool to piece the story together with diary entries. I really liked your trip to heaven entry. It was really funny how you portrayed Garuda. I would just include in your author’s note about the bolded paragraphs. Great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete