Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary A: Starting Buck's Ramayana

Valmiki went into the Forest, to be alone, after being unsuccessful in finding happy and welcoming people. He sat there for so many years that he was covered in an ant pile. Pg. 3

Valmiki was not a poet until he said a verse about a poor bird that was killed. This is when he became a poet and Brahma came and told him the story of Rama. Pg. 7

I thought it was interesting that this story (Buck’s version) started at the end of the last one, but it left a good reason to tell the story of the Ramayana. Pg. 6

I still think it is weird that Rama sent Sita away even though he loved her so much. He even brought a golden statue of her to the festival to show his love for her. Pg. 9

Narayana flew on Garuda to rid the world of the demons. Many fell easily from his arrows. Pg. 24

Image Source: Wikipedia. Vishnu on Garuda.

I thought it was interesting to see that even Yama, Lord Death surrendered to Ravana during the battle of Heaven. Pg. 40
  • Need to reread this section of the book.


Airvata, Indra’s elephant throws Ravana down during the battle of Heaven. Pg. 45

King Dasaratha has to give Rama to help with the fight against demons. He made a promise that he would help Viswamithra before he heard the story. After hearing his story he does not want to give up Rama, but he made a promise and he follows through with it. Pg. 47


I thought it was interesting that it says that Ahalya might have known it wasn’t her husband that she was bedding, but she was curious so she did it anyway. Pg. 51

1 comment:

  1. I like how you broke down the sections from the book so far in this section, explaining the major parts of the story. It makes it an easy reminder for when you are looking for what storytelling post you want to write. I also thought it was weird that Rama exiled Sita...it definitely surprised me when I read that. I thought I had misread it or something. But there are some sections that I had to read again in order to better understand.

    ReplyDelete