Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 9 Reading Diary B: Indraprastha is Made

I think it was interesting to see how Duryodhana reacted when he learned that his cousins were still alive. While Duryodhana was upset that they won Draupadi as their wife, Dhritarashtra was excited for the cousins that they won. He wished them a happy life.

One thing that annoyed me was how Dhritarashtra acted, it seemed like he was really bad at making decisions. I understood that he was trying to be fair between his sons and his nephews but it was annoying when he turned his nephews away for his sons.

I still think it is weird that all five of the brothers married one wife. I thought it was interesting that they were willing to exile one of the brothers if they thought about her or interrupted another brother while they were with her. I know that Narada gave them advice on how to handle this situation. I didn’t think they would actually exile someone but they did exile Arjuna when he walked in on Draupadi and Yudhishthira.

(Draupadi and Pandavas. Image Source: Wikipedia)
I think my favorite part of the book was when Duryodhana came back from visiting his cousins and he talks about how he thought they were making fun of him. I know the palace was made to be confusing, and I thought it was perfect that he would be the one to get frustrated by the tricks and illusions.

I find this book to be interesting. I feel that because the original was so long this one barely has any details. I don’t know if that is just my feelings about it. For example in the Ramayana I feel like when someone was exiled there would have been some description about it, but when Arjuna was exiled there was one line about it.


I am finding this book harder to read also, because I felt like the number of names thrown at us in the very beginning of the book was overwhelming. I am really enjoying it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment