Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 2: Famous Last Words

Well it has been a very busy week for me in all of my classes. This week I believe that I did my best writing, in this class, in my storytelling post. It is enjoyable to be able to write something that is fiction instead of the normal academic writing we are all used to. I enjoy writing in this class because it gives me an opportunity to work on my writing skills, which is an area that I have always struggled with. I also enjoy that it gives me a creative outlet that relaxing but also challenging.
 
(Writing Pen, Source: Wikipedia)
I found that if I just sit down and think for a while I come up with more ideas. It’s nice to just spend some time at home and focus on my writing. I find it easy to get in a groove if I just plan out my story and then write it. This week in my storytelling post I tried to put more dialogue and description into my story. I knew I was lacking it in last week’s post, but this week I tried to add some more. I also tried to stray further from the actual storyline to make it more of my own story and not just a rewritten piece from the Ramayana. I believe this experiment was somewhat successful. I still need to work on my description of scenes and people.


I find that when I’m reading other people’s work I find a ton of different techniques, and some people in this class are really amazing at this creative writing. I like to see how people take a story from the Ramayana and create something totally different. I believe that this is really hard, and takes a lot of creativity. That is something that I really admire in other people’s work. There area few writing styles that I would like to try in the future. I want to try to use varying lengths in my sentences, which is something I see and like in a lot of peoples writing. I want to stray from such a formal style of writing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I agree that it is much more enjoyable writing fiction than it is to write research papers! It is much more relaxing and gives us a chance to display our creativity during the stressful semester many of us have to look forward to! I also need to work on adding description and dialogue in my stories. Even though writing fiction is more enjoyable to write than academic writing, I am finding it difficult to switch out of academic writing mode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!! I also have been enjoying this class's writing styles. It's so nice to read and write stories that are creative instead of providing an analytic essay over the themes or other things we would normally do in college. It's awesome to see that you're excited to learn about and try out more creative writing. I'll have to check out some of your storytelling assignments in the future!

    ReplyDelete