Thursday, January 15, 2015

An Overview of What I Know About the Indian Epics

For this class I am the most excited to read the two main epics, Ramayana and Mahabharata. In my free time I love to read books, I also enjoy reading epic fantasies. When I was looking into this class I looked up these two epics and immediately liked what I read about them. I am looking forward to actually being able to read the books and learn more about them.

I have not studied Indian history so far, and that is another reason why I wanted to take this class. I wanted to open my eyes to a new culture at least to some extent. I have listened to some Indian music, but not much, mainly just the stuff that I find as popular on Spotify. I enjoy all types of dancing, from what I have seen of Indian dancing I do enjoy it. The only “Indian films” that I have seen would be Slumdog Millionaire, and Million Dollar Arm. Both of which were amazing movies that I would suggest everyone watch if they have not already.

As I said before I love to read epics, one of my favorites would be the Game of Throne Books. I also enjoy watching the television series, but I believe the books are way better. If you have a long time to devote to reading these books you should give them a try.

I have not previously heard of these stories before this class, but I am excited to get to know them and expand what little knowledge I have of India. The topics I am most interested in are the stories of the different characters in the books. I love getting to know the characters and seeing all of the different stories that relate to them.

(Image source: Ganesha with two consorts,
Riddhi (prosperity) and Siddhi (spiritual power);
find out more at Wikipedia.)


I picked this image because the elephant, Ganesha, was familiar to me. I do not really know who or what it is, but I know I have seen this is some other pictures even before I began this class. I believe he is a Lord or something, but I will have to do more research. I plan on researching a little about it to remember where I have seen this before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment